The Sweet Life of Following Jesus!
This series uses kids' favorite sweet breakfast treats to look at what the Bible says about becoming and growing as a disciple of Jesus
Click here to sample the first lesson for FREE.
Choose Your Format!
- Digital Download Only - Instant access via email as soon as you order.
- Printed Book & Download - You still get instant access, but we'll also mail you a spiral bound copy of your curriculum!
Donuts and Disciples Lessons Overview
"Have your roots in him. Build yourselves up in him. Grow strong in what you believe” Colossians 2:7a (NIRV)
Frosted With Sprinkles
Scripture: Matthew 9:9-13, The Calling of Matthew
If a donut has no toppings, not even glaze, is it even a donut? It’s basically just a circle of bread! But when you add the sweetness of glaze or frosting and sprinkles, suddenly you have a pretty special treat! As Jesus showed with Matthew, when we become disciples of Jesus, he redeems our sinful lives and transforms them into a sweet life filled with joy and purpose.
Objective: Kids will learn, “Becoming a disciple means admitting I’m sinful and need God’s help.”
Scripture: John 3:1-16, Nicodemus Visits Jesus
Donut holes are like little baby donuts. When Jesus told Nicodemus that his followers must be "born again," Nicodemus didn't understand how people could become babies again. It would be like trying to turn a full-sized doughnut back into a donut hole. It didn’t make sense! But Jesus explained that he was talking about a spiritual birth.
Objective: Kids will learn, “Becoming a disciple means letting Jesus change my desires.”
A Dozen Donuts
Scripture: Luke 9:23-26, 57-62, Counting the Cost
Unfortunately, we don’t live in a world where donuts are free. If you want to buy a dozen donuts, you have to decide if the reward is worth the cost. (And if you do buy them, you have to decide if the reward of eating a dozen donuts is worth the tummy-ache later on!) Becoming a disciple of Jesus is so much greater than the regular life, but Jesus did tell those who wanted to follow Him that they needed to "count the cost." Following Jesus does mean we will make sacrifices in this life because we are living with the next life in mind.
Objective: Kids will learn, “Becoming a disciple means I will have put God and others ahead of myself.”
Scripture: Acts 2:1-7, 14, 37-41, Peter Preaches at Pentecost
This donut may be named after a bold and scary animal, but the taste is sweet and delicious. Disciples are called to be bold for Jesus, which can be scary; but when we rely on the Holy Spirit, the results are sweet.
Objective: Kids will learn, “Becoming a disciple means I will be bold for Jesus.”
- Make It Stick! Parent Sheet - so you can let mom and dad know what kids are learning each week and look like a rockstar teacher who's thought of everything.
- Memory Verse - so that you can make sure kids are getting Scripture in their minds and hearts every single week and you can feel like each lesson was a success even when it seems like 90% of your lesson time is spent saying things like "calm down", "let's be quiet", "hands to yourself!"
- Skit or Puppet Show - so you have a way to easily connect the lesson with your hands-on and visual learners. No drama team? No problem! Just hand the script to the kids. They'll have a blast and think you're the coolest.
- Craft Activity - so you can give kids a physical reminder of the Bible lesson (and give yourself an activity to keep them busy until mom and dad come back!)
- Game - so kids don't leave and say church was BORING! Games are so important to help keep kids engaged. Our large group games always include a "What's The Point" section to help you connect the game to the lesson.
- Large Group Lesson - so you can present the Bible story in a clear and fun way, which means now you can enjoy Saturday nights instead of stressing over putting a lesson together!
- Small-Group Discussion - so you can find out who was paying attention and who was talking to their neighbor. Just kidding, this is a great way for you to build deeper relationships with your kiddos after each lesson, which means you're going to care about them so much you'll cry like a baby when they graduate and go to middle school :(
- More! - Yes, there is even more than all of that so that you can easily put together the perfect lesson for your ministry each weekend, which means no more agonizing over how to adjust complicated lesson plans.
About This Curriculum:
- Perfect for kids ages 6-12
- Includes large group and small group resources
- This curriculum is an instant download
- Download a free sample here
Guaranteed to Be Awesome!
100% Money-Back Guarantee. Our Children's Ministry curriculum is guaranteed to be awesome. If you don't absolutely love this curriculum, just let us know within 30 days and we'll give you a full refund, and a big hug. No questions asked.
Check out our collection of Children's Church Lessons for more great curriculum series for your Kids Church or Sunday School.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.