Escape Room Themed Look at the Christmas Story
We sometimes forget what an adventure the birth of Jesus really was: with frightening encounters, long-distance journeys, and an angry and dangerous king. Escape from Bethlehem 4-Week Children's Ministry Curriculum will attempt to capture some of the energy of these events and invite kids to engage with the Christmas story with fun escape-room-themed challenges.
Escape From Bethlehem Lessons Overview:
“The Lord himself will give you a sign. The virgin is going to have a baby. She will give birth to a son. And he will be called Immanuel.” Isaiah 7:14 (NIrV)
A Frightening Visitor
Scripture: Luke 1:26-38, An Angel Visits Mary
Mary couldn’t see the whole picture or what would we be ahead when the angel came to see her. In fact, it was probably quite overwhelming and scary! But the message the angel brought gave the world hope and joy, even if that wasn’t exactly how Mary felt at first. Kids will attempt to decipher their own coded message to learn today's Bible Objective.
Objective: Kids will learn that, “The message of Jesus is a message of joy.”
Scripture: Luke 2:1-20, The Birth of Jesus
Mary and Joseph endured a long journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem, only to find that there was no room in the whole town for them to stay. With Jesus on the way, they had to to take shelter in a barn to welcome their baby into the world. Kids will have to work out the clues that open up the box containing the materials for today's Bible story.
Objective: Kids will learn that, “Jesus brings peace, even when life is hard.”
The Tale of Two Kings
Scripture: Matthew 2:1-11, The Visit of the Magi
When King Herod learned that a new king had been born, he became jealous and angry. He asked the Magi to lead him to Jesus, but God made sure that didn't happen. Kids will solve several puzzles to reveal that Jesus is the King of Kings.
Objective: Kids will learn that, “Jesus is the King of Kings and we can trust him with our life.”
The Great Escape
Scripture: Matthew 2:11-20, The Escape to Egypt
King Herod was now fully determined to kill the baby king. He sent soldiers to Bethlehem to carry out his orders. But Joseph was able to take his family to Egypt with little time to spare. The life of the baby Jesus had to be saved, so that Jesus could grow up and give his life so that we could be saved. Kids will face one final Christmas story challenge to escape the room before the clock runs out.
Objective: Kids will learn that, “Jesus is the only way to escape the price of our sin.”
Each Lesson Includes:
- Make It Stick! Parent Sheet - so you can let mom and dad know what kids are learning each week and look like a rockstar teacher who's thought of everything.
- Memory Verse - so that you can make sure kids are getting Scripture in their minds and hearts every single week and you can feel like each lesson was a success even when it seems like 90% of your lesson time is spent saying things like "calm down", "let's be quiet", "hands to yourself!"
- Skit or Puppet Show - so you have a way to easily connect the lesson with your hands-on and visual learners. No drama team? No problem! Just hand the script to the kids. They'll have a blast and think you're the coolest.
- Craft Activity - so you can give kids a physical reminder of the Bible lesson (and give yourself an activity to keep them busy until mom and dad come back!)
- Game - so kids don't leave and say church was BORING! Games are so important to help keep kids engaged. Our large group games always include a "What's The Point" section to help you connect the game to the lesson.
- Large Group Lesson - so you can present the Bible story in a clear and fun way, which means now you can enjoy Saturday nights instead of stressing over putting a lesson together!
- Small Group Discussion - so you can find out who was paying attention and who was talking to their neighbor. Just kidding, this is a great way for you build deeper relationships with your kiddos after each lesson, which means you're going to care about them so much you'll cry like a baby when they graduate and go to middle school :(
- More! - Yes, there is even more than all of that so that you can easily put together the perfect lesson for your ministry each weekend, which means no more agonizing over how to adjust complicated lesson plans.
About This Curriculum:
- Perfect for kids ages 6-12
- Includes large group and small group resources
- This curriculum is an instant download
- Download a free sample here
Guaranteed to Be Awesome!
100% Money Back Guarantee. Our Children's Ministry curriculum is guaranteed to be awesome. If you don't absolutely love this curriculum, just let us know within 30 days and we'll give you a full refund, and a big hug. No questions asked.
Check out our collection of Children's Church Lessons for more great curriculum series for your Kids Church or Sunday School.
Be sure to check out our Christmas Worship Songs for Kids Playlist on Spotify!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.