Radical Wisdom From the Sermon on the Mount!
In his Sermon on the Mount as recorded in Matthew, Jesus gives us a picture of how we are to live, love, and treat other people that was radically different from the wisdom of his day. . . and today. Sometimes God's way is the opposite of our way. Welcome to Opposite Day.
Choose Your Format!
- Digital Download Only - Instant access via email as soon as you order.
- Printed Book & Download - You still get instant access, but we'll also mail you a spiral bound copy of your curriculum!
Opposite Day Lessons Overview
MEMORY VERSE:“Blessed are those who suffer for doing what is right. The kingdom of heaven belongs to them.” Matthew 5:10 (NIRV)
Scripture: Matthew 5:1-12, Beatitudes
The Beatitudes are a list of the people who are “blessed” or “happy” in God's kingdom. That list doesn't jive with the people we think of as happy and successful. In God's kingdom, the first are last and the last are first.
Objective: Kids will learn “With God, I can find joy in any circumstance.”
Eyes on the Prize
Scripture: Matthew 5:38-42, Eye for an Eye
If someone wrongs us, it makes sense to get back at them. But in the logic of God's kingdom, we do not seek revenge. Instead, we go the extra mile to help those who have done wrong.
Objective: Kids will learn “With God, I can go the extra mile.”
Perfection, No Biggie
Scripture: Matthew 5:43-48, Love Your Enemies
We love those who are close to us, but in God's kingdom, we are asked to love everyone, even those we consider our enemies. This is part of God's plan that we “be perfect, just as the Heavenly Father is perfect.”
Objective: Kids will learn “With God, I can show love to all people.”
Left Hand/Right Hand
Scripture: Matthew 6:1-4, Giving to the Needy
When we've done something good, we want to shout it out to the world. But Jesus tells us not to seek glory. We keep our giving a secret so that God gets the glory. When we give, our left hand shouldn't even know what our right hand is doing.
Objective: Kids will learn “With God, I can give without seeking a reward.”
Talking to God
Scripture: Matthew 6:5-15, Prayer
The people of Jesus' time had specific ways in which they prayed, but Jesus gave them a more simple way: Just talking to our Father in heaven about what we need and praising Him.
Objective: Kids will learn, “I can always talk to my heavenly Father.”
Scripture: Matthew 6:25-34, Do Not Worry
In our culture, we're supposed to strive to get ahead and be the best. That comes with worry. Worrying about losing our “stuff”. Jesus tells us to put off worry and trust that God will supply all of our needs.
Objective: Kids will learn, “I don't have to worry because God knows what I need.”
Don't Judge Me
Scripture: Matthew 7:1-6, Do Not Judge
It feels like human nature to see the wrong things that other people are doing and judge them for it. But Jesus tells us not to judge others but to focus on the things that need to change within us.
Objective: Kids will learn, “With God, I will show grace to others because God has shown grace to me.”
Scripture: Matthew 7:13-14, The Narrow and Wide Gates
If there is an easy way to do things, that's usually the way we all want to choose. But Jesus tells us that the way to God's kingdom is through the narrow gate that most people never choose because it will be difficult and sometimes feel like you’re the only one who chose to do things God’s way.
Objective: Kids will learn, “With God, I can follow God’s ways, even when it’s hard.”
- Make It Stick! Parent Sheet - so you can let mom and dad know what kids are learning each week and look like a rockstar teacher who's thought of everything.
- Memory Verse - so that you can make sure kids are getting Scripture in their minds and hearts every single week and you can feel like each lesson was a success even when it seems like 90% of your lesson time is spent saying things like "calm down", "let's be quiet", "hands to yourself!"
- Skit or Puppet Show - so you have a way to easily connect the lesson with your hands-on and visual learners. No drama team? No problem! Just hand the script to the kids. They'll have a blast and think you're the coolest.
- Craft Activity - so you can give kids a physical reminder of the Bible lesson (and give yourself an activity to keep them busy until mom and dad come back!)
- Game - so kids don't leave and say church was BORING! Games are so important to help keep kids engaged. Our large group games always include a "What's The Point" section to help you connect the game to the lesson.
- Large Group Lesson - so you can present the Bible story in a clear and fun way, which means now you can enjoy Saturday nights instead of stressing over putting a lesson together!
- Small-Group Discussion - so you can find out who was paying attention and who was talking to their neighbor. Just kidding, this is a great way for you to build deeper relationships with your kiddos after each lesson, which means you're going to care about them so much you'll cry like a baby when they graduate and go to middle school :(
- More! - Yes, there is even more than all of that so that you can easily put together the perfect lesson for your ministry each weekend, which means no more agonizing over how to adjust complicated lesson plans.
About This Curriculum:
- Perfect for kids ages 6-12
- Includes large group and small group resources
- This curriculum is an instant download
- Download a free sample here
Guaranteed to Be Awesome!
100% Money-Back Guarantee. Our Children's Ministry curriculum is guaranteed to be awesome. If you don't absolutely love this curriculum, just let us know within 30 days and we'll give you a full refund, and a big hug. No questions asked.
Check out our collection of Children's Church Lessons for more great curriculum series for your Kids Church or Sunday School.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.