Four Strange Things That Jesus Taught
When we really start to investigate, we find that Jesus said some pretty strange things when He was on earth – things that go against what we want and challenge the way we live our lives. This series looks at four of the strangest things Jesus said, and how they have the potential to change us if we have the courage to listen.
The Strangest Things Lessons Overview:
Memory Verse: “And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:27 (NIV)
Hate Your Family
Scripture: Luke 9:57-62 & Luke 14:25-27, Cost of Following Jesus
Isn't Jesus all about love; then why did he tell people they had to hate their family in order to be his followers? Becoming a disciple of Jesus means putting Him and His Kingdom before everything else – including our wants and the desire to please or impress important people in our lives.
Objective: Students will learn that, “Following Jesus means being completely devoted to Christ, even if family and friends don’t support me.”
Dogs at the Dinner Table
Scripture: Matthew 15:21-28, The Canaanite Woman
Remember that time Jesus compared a woman to a dog? For the Jewish people of Jesus' time, it would not have seemed strange to refer to a foreign woman that way. But in making the comparison, Jesus actually revealed several important lessons. First, that sometimes the mission we think we are on, may not always be the mission God has for us. We should always be open to interruptions to our plans. Second, God’s grace is truly for anyone who believes.
Objective: Students will learn that, “God’s grace is available to anyone who believes.”
Cut Off Your Hand
Scripture: Matthew 18:6-9, Causing to Stumble
These passages illustrate how seriously God views sin, and how important eternity is in comparison to life on earth. Many distractions and obstacles will come along to distract us from Jesus. We have to be willing to eliminate them all in the pursuit of holiness. Jesus shows us with these strong words that there is nothing in this life more important than your relationship with God.
Objective: Students will learn that, “There is nothing in this world that is worth trading eternity for.”
Scripture: John 14:5-14, The Way to the Father
While comforting his disciples before his crucifixion, Jesus told them several things that we might find strange. First, he claimed to be the only way to God, which means all other religions are false. Next, despite all of the miraculous and amazing things Jesus did on earth, he told his disciples that they (we) would do even greater things.
Objective: Students will learn that, “God’s Holy Spirit living inside us gives us the power to do great things for Him.”
About This Curriculum:
- Instant Download
- 4-Week Series
- Perfect for 6th-12th Grade Students
- Great for Weekend or Mid-Week Programming
- Includes Both Large Group and Small Group Resources
- Download a sample lesson from this series here.
Each Lesson Includes:
- DOWNLOAD. Teacher Prep: Printable lesson overview – with tips and encouragement – to distribute to each leader and teacher on your team.
- UPLOAD. Large Group Teaching Guide: Printable “no prep required” Bible lesson for your Large Group Leader.
- POP QUIZ. Print and distribute this quiz to each of your students. Questions are based on the Upload Bible Lesson.
- COMMENT & SHARE. Small-Group Discussion Guide: Print and distribute this guide to leaders and students for use during their small group time.
- INTERACTIVE. Lesson Activity: Three activity options – a group game, a missional activity, and a service project – to pick and choose from each week
- TRENDING. Social Media + Leader Ideas: Ideas to help you use social media to keep the discussion with students going throughout the week.
- GRAPHICS. Series Graphics, Social Media Graphics, and Printables.
This Series Is Guaranteed to Be Awesome!
100% Money Back Guarantee. If you don't absolutely love this curriculum, just let us know within 30 days and we'll give you a full refund, and a big hug. No questions asked.
Click the PIZZA BOX to see all of our newest Youth Ministry curriculum series'!
Check out our collection of Children's Church Lessons for more great curriculum series for your Kids Church or Sunday School.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.